Established in 1963, the UNC Adams School of Dentistry Craniofacial Center (CFC) is one of the first craniofacial teams in the country.
Located within the UNC Adams School of Dentistry, the CFC is uniquely positioned to provide unmatched expertise from our team of caring experts of medical and dental specialties. There’s no need to make trips to additional specialists — our experts are all under one roof.
We understand that most families have near heard of craniofacial disorders before their child is born with one. While your child’s diagnosis may sound scary, rest assured our team has likely taken care of someone with your child’s condition, no matter how complex. Click here to learn more about craniofacial conditions.
In addition to our interdisciplinary team care, we also offer prenatal services and non-team care for patients with non-cleft palate diagnoses.
You can trust your child’s care to a team that is approved by the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association.
Check out our FAQs below to learn more about what to expect at your child’s appointment and how to prepare for your first Craniofacial Center visit.
Blessings in Disguise
Blessings in Disguise is a video that will give additional information regarding team care from the patient, family and health care professional standpoint. The video will introduce you to several families involved with team care, as well as an adult who has completed care and the professionals with whom you will come in contact.
Disclaimer: The content of this video is provided solely for educational purposes, and is not a substitute for medical advice. It is intended for use by parents, caregivers and families affected by the birth of a child with a craniofacial difference. Medical and dental personnel as well as students may also benefit in the viewing of this video. The content does not represent the only or the best team care, but is representative of the type of team care that can best meet the needs of the child and family. Consult your health care team for further guidance.
- Social work
- Speech-language pathology
Photo of Craniofacial Center team, 2017
Meet Our Specialists
- BS, MS, Biology, George Washington University
- DMD, Temple University School of Dentistry
- MD, New York Medical College
- Member, American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
- Member, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Certified, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- MD, UNC School of Medicine, 1981
- Residency, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1981-1983
- Residency, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1983-87
- Fellowship, Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1987-1988
- MA, American History, University of Virginia
- MEd, Speech Language Pathology, University of Virginia
- MS, Orthodontics, University of Minnesota
- MSD, Pediatric Dentistry, Indiana University
- DMD, Dentistry, University of Saskatchewan
- BS, Anatomy, University of Saskatchewan
Jessica Y. Lee
- PhD, Health Policy Analysis and Administration, UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Certificate, Pediatric Dentistry, UNC Adams School of Dentistry
- DDS, Dentistry, Columbia University, School of Dental and Oral Surgery
- MPH, Health Administration, Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health
- Demeritt Distinguished Professor
Lauren Leeper (Kilpatrick)
- MD, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, 2007
- Residency, Department of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, Medial University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, 2007-2012
- Fellowship, Pediatric Otolaryngology, Arkansas Children’s Hospital, Little Rock, AR, 2012-2014
- PhD, Craniofacial Skeletal Muscle Engineering, University College London
- MS, Orthodontics, University College London
- Dentistry, United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St. Thomas’s Hospitals
- Member, Royal College of Surgeons, England
Ronald P. Strauss
- DMD, University of Pennsylvania
- PhD, Sociology, University of Pennsylvania
- PhD, Pediatric Psychology, Duke University
- DDS, Columbia College of Dental and Oral Surgery, School of Medicine
- BA, General Social Science, Villanova University
- MD, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- Plastic Surgery Residency, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
- Fellowship, Craniofacial, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BSN, Nursing, University of Cincinnati
- MSN, Nursing, University of Cincinnati
- BA, Biology, Hampton University
- PhD, Physics, Princeton University